Unfortunately, the working world is not divided into majors. It is very important to understand that people need to market all of the areas that surround the college degree. The two main areas that are critical to market to employers are skills and experience.
Skills and experience are the two most important areas that need to be sold to employers! When combined with a college degree, the impact on the value to a company can be very powerful.
How can you market your skills and experience to a potential employer?
- Cover letters: Use this format to sell to the potential employer. In the second and third paragraphs, let the employer know how their problems can be solved because of your skills and experience.
- Resume: In a skill summary and in the work experience section, sell the employer on your accomplishments and how you can help solve their problems.
- Interview: Use this time to talk about your degree in terms of how the skills you learned can be directly applied to the job for which you are applying. Also, market any volunteer work experience or special projects that are relevant to the position.
How can you gain experience in a field if you are working a full time job in a different industry? If you are trying to make a career change, it will take sacrifice and hard work, but here are some suggestions:
- Volunteer to work at a church- they need computer technicians, accountants, business managers, etc.
- Ask for extra projects at work that are relevant to your new career direction.
- Volunteer at a local non-profit agency that may need a project done.
- Volunteer in another department over the lunch period at your current job.