Southwestern College History
Southwestern College was chartered June 19, 1885, by the Methodists of Kansas as “an institution of learning of full collegiate powers.” It opened its doors for forty-three learners on September 7, 1886. The first name of the College was “The Southwest Kansas Conference College”; the name “The Southwestern College’’ was adopted November 5, 1908.
The residential campus, located on 85 acres in Winfield, Kansas, offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs for traditional age learners.
The College began offering degree completion programs for working adults in 1994 and began moving some of these courses online in 2001. This was a very progressive move for a small private college at that time. Currently Professional Studies has undergraduate and graduate programs in Winfield, Kansas; Wichita, Kansas; McConnell AFB, Kansas; Midwest City, Oklahoma; Ft. Riley, Kansas; and online.